Saturday, August 25, 2012

Best cuticle pampering

Best cuticle pampering

I have always had problems with very dry cuticles. Especially during winter time they can get so dry, that the skin around my fingers really hurts. If I have to wash my hands often it makes the matter even worse. 
Some things that will really help:
1. If you have to do housework, you should wear plastic gloves. Soaking your hands in warm water and cleaning chemicals will dry out your hands completely. 
2. The colder it gets outside the higher the fat content of your hand lotion should be. The fat will build up an additional barrier and your hands will stay moisturized.
3. Always put on some hand lotion after washing your hands. Rub some of the lotion into your cuticles.
4. You have to pamper your cuticles regularly. Just doing it once a while won't help. There is no quick fix if your prone to dry skin. For me it helps to have some hand lotion or cuticle treatment with me at all time. A ten minute subway ride is enough time to massage some oil into my cuticles.
5. Don't cut away too much. If you have a hangnail, cut it carefully. Push your cuticle skin back carefully. If you cut away too much your skin can get infected really badly.
6. I know we girls like polish. If you have dry skin, nails and cuticles you should consider not wearing polish every day. Especially the nail polish remover dries out the nail and cuticles. 

Products and where to buy

Here are the products I tried out in the past months:

Stuff I also tried but forgot to take a picture of, before I trough it out:
Alessandro-Mango Nail Serum
L'Occitane en Provence- 100% Pure Shea Butter
Lush- Lemony Flutter

Here are the companies web pages:
Lush 

I bought the Alessandro products at Douglas (their web page:  Douglas).
Müller (their web page: Müller) carries Burt's Bees and butter London. You could also order butter London online at the Douglas Online Shop. 
Bipa, L'Occitane en Provence and Lush have a lot of stores around Vienna as well as an online shop.

What i think

Alessandro-Mango Nail Serum
I really liked the smell of it. You apply these serum with a dropping glas. This is one thing I didn't like about it. You always got too much serum on your nails. I somehow found it not moisturizing enough. I guess it just looked like a normal cuticle oil but wasn't as "oily". I think if your cuticles are not too dry you would like it. I don't think that I will buy it again.

 Look by Bipa- Nagelpflegestift (nail care pen)
I like the smell a lot (coconut) and it is really cheap. I like it for on the go as it is really easy to apply. Not one of the best ones but for the price a good one.

Burt's Bees- Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream
I first tried that one out when I used to live in the United States and immediately fell in love with it. It smells really good like fresh cut lemons. I especially love to use it in the summer time, because of the fresh smell. I normally have it in my handbag to use it on the go.

butter London- Handbag Holiday Cuticle Oil
I absolutely love this one. It just smells like holiday (a bit like coconut). Because of the packaging (glass container, brush to apply) I only like to use it at home. I normally use it as my night treatment before I go to bed.

L'Occitane en Provence- 95% Shea Butter, Vineyard Rose
L'Occitane en Provence- 95% Shea Butter, Orange Honey
I think those two were a limited edition, but I might be wrong.  I prefer the orange Honey because the cream is softer. This is a pity because I love the smell of roses. I like both a lot because you can also use them on your lips, hair and other dry spots you have. The only downside: It starts to get rancid really fast.

L'Occitane en Provence- 30% Shea Butter Cuticle & Nail Cream
I like this one a lot. There is a hand lotion to go with it. The smell of both is really nice and very subtle. I have repurchased both a lot of times. It takes some time to sink into the skin.

L'Occitane en Provence- 100% Pure Shea Butter
I didn't like this at all. The smell was really bad and it got rancid so fast. I'm definitely not going to repurchase it.

Lush- Lemony Flutter
Another one I didn't like. I liked the smell a lot, but the pot is so big that it is not convenient to take with you. Somehow I didn't notice any difference after using it for some time. 

Summary

I absolutely love butter London and Burt's bees as well as the 30% Shea butter cuticle & nail cream from L'Occitane. Those three are my all time favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment